Wednesday, March 01, 2006

An open letter to the man on the train

Dear Irish man on the Thameslink this morning,

I am very sorry that you got a fine for not having the right ticket on the train this morning. The ticket inspector was being an arsehole. How were you to know that you can’t use prepay on the trains? It isn’t ‘plastered all over the stations’ like the inspector claimed, although it should be. I think you kept your cool very well and I especially liked your comment about needing a receipt to prove you weren’t being conned. Very wise, my friend.

However, I would like to thank you for not having the ticket, as it meant that you got fined and I didn’t, as by the time he’d finished with you, I was off the train. Thank you very much. You’ve saved me twenty quid.

Hope you have a good day.

Minted Lamb

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now see, you've got to make your mind up. One minute you're complaining about your colleagues stealing sandwiches.

Not buying a ticket is theft too you know...

Pottachan said...

Just to clarify, I have no problem with people stealing sandwiches. In fact, I say GO FOR IT. If you gotta eat, you gotta eat. Who cares if they're crappy sandwiches intended for the legal department. On the other hand, the prices charged on the trains are extortionate and I don't see why I should pay over the odds for a train that is cancelled every other day. It ain't theft. They're the ones attempting daylight robbery!!

I love fare dodging.

Anonymous said...

But lost revenue (aka fare dodging) is one of the contributory factors to price hikes each year.

It's a bit like people saying no one gets hurt when they do insurance fraud, but in fact, the cost is passed on to all the other policy holders.

Dress it up anyway you like, but fare dodging is theft. If you don't like the service your local tain provider gives, then boycott it! Use an alternative method!!

Pottachan said...

Sure, I'll walk to work.

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a bus you could catch? Or you could cycle, if it's not too far?

Anonymous said...

Isn't there a bus you could catch? Or you could cycle, if it's not too far?

Pottachan said...

There is a bus, but it takes far too long. If the station had barriers, or even regular ticket inspectors, I would be far more inclined (well, forced) to buy a ticket. As for cycling, I've had far too many bikes stolen!