Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Ooops

Having spent a good part of last week doing the test of U and Non-U words on people to determine their class origin, I saw this story today in the Guardian:

http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1751277,00.html

Now I feel a bit bad. It's not that I hate the working class. I don't at all. As Kate Fox points out, people always hate the people in the class directly below or above them. Therefore my vitriol is reserved for the lower-middle class.

I hate the class system in this country. Thankfully I am not really a part of it (the class system or the country) and I like to think that I am being ironic in my references to it. I am, after all, the queen of irony. I have no idea where I fit in, in terms of geography at least. My mum always used to tell me that I didn't look like I belonged to a particular country (unlike a lot of my family, who couldn't look anything other than Irish... the most I have of that is a tendancy to have "Irish hair" that Dylan Moran talks about). Thank fuck I'm not English though. I can't think of anything worse. Rule Britannia and all that. What a load of bollocks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»