Friday, December 02, 2005

I was getting the train to work yesterday, a little later than intended as I'd slept in (yet again). There weren't many people on the train. In my carriage there was just me, a little old lady and some yoof with a baseball cap and shiny tracksuit-type attire.

The yoof suddenly spoke to the lady, who had been listening to music. He asked what part of London we were in.

Taking her headphones off, the lady said, "Oh, sorry. This is... hmmm... where are we?" She had a little look out of the window at the concrete jungle of the Walworth Road. "Oh, this is near the Elephant and Castle. It's South East London, though it's not very far from the centre."

The yoof looked interested, so she continued. "The Elephant is named after the shopping centre here. It's the last stop on this line that's south of the river. The next stop is Blackfriars, on the other side of the river. Blackfriars is very close to St Paul's Cathedral, right in the City of London."

She carried on giving a guide to London from each of the Thameslink stations. I was gutted that I was getting off at the next stop, and couldn't carry on eavesdropping.

Incidentally, that old lady was the first pensioner I have seen listening to an iPod. I think she could be called an iPensioner, or OAiP.

No comments: